Thursday, December 1, 2011

Something Broke - Storyboarding

Storyboarding has officially BEGUN. Although my drawings are shitty so far, I swear to make them the best I could get them. Timing the panels is a bit tricky... but eh, I'm trying my best to set up the scenes (which is an important step).

PONYVILLE - ALL IS NORMAL - STORYBOARD (These are links, btw)
NEW (DEC. 8): CLOUDSDALE - YOUNG FLIERS COMPETITION - STORYBOARD

My own thoughts so far of what I have done... well, the comic panels don't exactly show everything that happens in each panel, so there will be a bit of things that aren't all that legible. Like the first shot, Rainbow Dash wont be on the screen at that moment; it'll open up to clouds, then Dash will burst right through them. Next panel, Dash does a loop, and a pose. The next panel, I think it was a smart idea to draw Dash a few times in the panel showing what she's doing (attempting a sonic rainboom). Maybe I shouldn't use a different panel for this, but I wanted to show Dash get flung to the sky, and disappearing. Next panel shows Pinkie Pie. I made it so that she was watching Dash the whole time. She wanted to go meet up with her, so... next panel shows Pinkie bouncing along a path, and then finds Dash laying down in the grass. Pinkie smiles, glad that she found Dash. Dash gets up and smiles back (that DEFINITELY isn't really shown at all).

So anyways, they both decide to go out pranking. Pinkie Pie wonders who they're actually pranking (dunno if it shows all that well... unless you watched the episode that it's in). Helpless victim in this case is Fluttershy. When Pinkie finds out that they were just about to prank Fluttershy, Pinkie will spit out the ball (used to spray water I assume), and tells Dash that it isn't a good idea. Dash gives in, and will turn to Pinkie wondering who to prank next, and turns to Pinkie. Pinkie Smiles. "?" appears next to Dash since she doesn't know why Pinkie is laughing. Pinkie will point into the water, and Dash will have a good look at herself, and smile. Then they brohoof.

From what everyone could probably tell, I'm not all that great at drawing backgrounds. I tried to do some details on Sugarcube Corner to make it look like it... but yeah. The camera will follow the "Poni" into Sugarcube Corner. I want to have a few more ponies around on the street as well, but the "Poni" is the main focus. She'll walk into the shop, look around, and walk up to Pinkie. She points her hoof at a cupcake, and makes a purchase. First dropping the "3 bits," Pinkie will swipe off the bits, and hoof her the cupcake. Pinkie then waves "goodbye" happily.

Some of the panels may move a bit fast here, but then again, I tried to make them stay as long as possible to go along with the timing to the song. I may not even use the pose that Dash made in the first frame at "Every pony come look here." I didn't like it all that much. Besides, the next frame will show "Rainbow Dash is full of fear" anyways. Next panel comes by a bit fast, but it'll show Derpy flying in, and dropping a newspaper titled the "Equestria Daily" It shows that there's a young flyers competition coming up.

Ugh, at this point, everything should be more or less self explanatory. With the "Help me chase away my fears" part, I honestly didn't really know what to put at first. So... well, since this part of the story talks about Rainbow Dash more, I have it focused on her for this point. She's being made fun of by another pony. "Rainbow Crash..." etc.

---

NEW STUFFS (DEC. 8)
I just posted the next part, Cloudsdale - Young Fliers Competition. In this, everything should be a lot more self explanatory. This section was made for VERY subtle animation. In other words, it's not really all that animated much, but it tells the story mainly with actions in a comic book style, rather than with animations in each panel. The style of the art is also a bit different as well, but the characters are all recognizable. Also, Jade from "Super Filly Adventure" makes her cameo. It was a pretty random decision to even include her. In the show, you don't actually get to see the school at Cloudsdale. This would be some sort of young pegasi soccer of some sort, and thus I used a Super Mario Sluggers as a reference for the second image of that. As you can probably tell, some scenes in this were taken from Sonic Rainboom, but I had to make up a few of my own twists. Pinkie never really walked with Rainbow Dash, and I wanted the characters to have more of a connection between each other, since the story is really about Pinkie Pie, and also a dash of Rainbow Dash (get it? a dash? eh, whatever. stupid pun).

Anyways, the next scene will include some of Pinkie's back story, and some abuse. This section will also be properly storyboarded, and not in the comic book styles that I've been doing thus far. Look forward to it!

--------------------------------------

So yeah, if anyone has any questions, concerns, advice, critique, or whatever, send me an email at animatedjay6@gmail.com. I'll be continuing to storyboard the next section, which should see a bit of a different art style than the one I used in this part, but it'll still be much like a comic style. I honestly can't wait until I get into the more gruesome stuff later on...

No comments:

Post a Comment